Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

So, I'm and Old Guy in this biz (upper Gen-X). It used to be that one would look for an opportunity to chip in, fill a need, excel. I'm not seeing that enthusiasm with the younger generations in this field any more.

I'm facing the situation where I have a handful of Millennials working for me (and I don't use that term as derogatory, just to set the picture of their ages). They all say they want more responsibility, and to branch out of their analyst roles. I've flat out told them that I want to know their desires, interests, or areas they want to move in -- but I never get specifics out of them on what they want to do. I also talk openly about my challenges in coming up with new Splunk dashboards, or ways to incorporate sysmon data into threat hunting, or use our threat intell better, or perform maintenance on the servers running our tools (Linux), etc.. And, not once, has anyone said "I'll look into that for you" or "here's a neat Splunk query I made to look for living off the land executables" or, "can you show me how you install updates on such-and-such tools..."

Am I missing something? I'm used to dropping a hint and seeing who picks it up -- thereby demonstrating their enthusiasm and motivation. That technique doesn't seem to be working now. There's an "older" analyst on my team (40s) that thrives on picking up new challenges and because of that, got promoted to be our dev/architect -- and now makes as much as I do. Thoughts? submitted by /u/MichaelJayQue
[link] [comments]


http://dlvr.it/T1Z0c6

No comments:

Post a Comment

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib