Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Hey everyone, hope you all are doing well. I'm hoping to get some guidance. I'm a bit new to the field. So, please go easy on me. I've graduated with a CS degree from a decent university in India (GPA around 3.5/4) last year. I've got some work experience (9 months at a startup doing IT + security stuff, some freelance work). I do have an eJPT certification by INE at the moment and am studying to get the CEH, CCST (Cisco) and CompTIA certifications.

I know a Master's isn't strictly needed in cybersecurity, and sometimes considered a waste but considering career goals + my desire to live abroad, disregarding tuition, which country/program aligns best with my interests for post-grad job prospects?

Given below is the list of universities I've got admits from so far:

* Australia: RMIT, University of Queensland, Monash, UTS (2 years, got a 30% scholarship for all.)
* Denmark: Aalborg University (2 years)
* France: Polytechnic Institute of Paris (2 years)
* Ireland: University of Limerick (1 year, €6000 scholarship)
* Italy: Sapienza University of Rome (2 years)
* New Zealand: Auckland University, University of Waikato (2 years)
* Sweden: Stockholm University (2 years)

* EIT Masters: (These are double-degree programs with entry and exit unis)

* Option 1: University of Twente (NL) + University of Turku (FI) (1+1)
* Option 2: University of Rennes (FR) + University of Trento (IT) (1+1)






I think I sort of missed an opportunity by not choosing Germany. Heard the job prospects in the field are quite good there, although I'm not sure with the current economic conditions. I wanted to get into the Cybersecurity program at Saarland University but it came up very late in my search and I couldn't apply for an Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) certificate in time. Any thoughts on this?

I've avoided the U.S. because of the ongoing issues with international students not getting sponsorship (H1B) and the general anxiety and cost involved in all of it. Similar case with Canada and United Kingdom due to ongoing economic conditions and lack of jobs.

Anyways, I'm aiming for jobs like InfoSec Analyst, PenTester, SOC work, Tech Support, IT Analyst or even higher if my qualifications can support it.

Also, whichever country is ideal, I'm willing to dedicate time in learning the language and integrate. I know security clearance is going to be an issue in most of these countries. It would be great if someone can advise if it'll negatively affect my prospects.

I have made a roadmap of sorts to make sure I don't look like a beginner by the time I graduate:

1. Foundational Knowledge

* Computer Networks: Understanding of network protocols, topologies, routing, and security best practices.
* Security Principles, Frameworks, and Policies: Mastery of core security concepts, risk assessment, compliance standards (e.g., NIST, ISO 27001), and incident response frameworks.
* Operating System Fundamentals (Windows & Linux): Proficient in administration, configuration, hardening, and vulnerability identification across both operating systems.
* Technical Skills: Scripting and programming abilities.
* Cryptography: Knowledge of encryption algorithms, cipher modes, key management, and practical applications.




2. Practical Application & Industry Awareness

* TryHackMe and HackTheBox for guided and challenge-based learning.
* Participate in CTF events to test skills.
* Track cybersecurity news, threat intelligence reports, and vulnerability disclosures (CVEs).




3. Proficiency in tools such as Wireshark, Nmap, Nessus, OpenVAS, Burp Suite, Metasploit Framework, Splunk

4. Pursue relevant certifications to validate skills and knowledge.

So, all in all, am I on the right track? Any modifications I should do to my learning roadmap? Any different certifications I should pursue? (someone suggested me to pursue CREST). Are there big differences in what certifications employers want in different places? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also, has anyone tried or know anyone who tried the EIT Masters program? Seems like a cool way to study in two countries...

Thanks in Advance! submitted by /u/Upset-Maintenance553
[link] [comments]


http://dlvr.it/T4YKp3

No comments:

Post a Comment

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib