Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

I've hit a string of promotions due to attrition. People retiring/accepting other positions. I went from a technical SME role, focused on fixing tools, scripting, mentoring the younglings and teaching them the ways of pulling the string. Never wanted to branch into management but it happened, the team looked to me for stability and I took it.

Now it's just emails, meetings, phone calls, manager speak (circling back, partnering, running things down, closing the loop), instilling hope while managing expectations with employees, having tough conversations when I could care less, and just no time behind a system.

I still do bug bounties as a side hustle, make shitty websites websites for friends, and still love looking at exploits trying to validate them, so at least I still have some skin in the game. My greatest joy is getting a few minutes to socratically walk my team through a problem and eventually hearing the "Ohhhhhhh, I get it now." Then having them come in and update me (read: boast; as they should!) on a technical issue they solved.

My issue isn't with my direct reports, the programs I interface with, or the day to day monotony of being a paper pusher. It's with my peers and superiors. They say FOSS is bad, I rebuke, they burn me at the stake - they say we should focus on overall SCAP/Stig score, I say that's a piss poor metric for security, they plunge me in the water.

For anyone else in the same position or having already gone through it, should I just acquiesce to the muggles and shield the non-sense from my team? Or is this a time to say goodbye and get back into IC-Ville? submitted by /u/sudo_apt_deez
[link] [comments]


http://dlvr.it/T4QFj3

No comments:

Post a Comment

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib